|Programme of EventsMembershipPublicationsEditorial BoardOfficers | Library|
|Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society|
|Registered Charity number 243773||HomepageArchaeologyHistoric Buildings LandscapeLocal History|
Landscape Section - 2020 Visits
Holy Ghost Cemetery & South View
Sunday 10th May 2020 from 10.30 - 12.30 approx.
Debbie Reavell, Basingstoke Heritage Society, will lead the group around the Cemetery along with the Holy Ghost Chapel with remains dating from 1244. The graves are mainly C19 but of great interest for local historians. To the north of the cemetery, the suburb of South View was developed from the late C19 onwards; there is a mix of ages & styles with St Thomas' Home for the Friendless and Fallen a highlight. To prepare for the visit an excellent account of the area has been written by our leader for the day.
Booking: Please download, print and complete the form which should be sent to our Treasurer (address on the form).
Getting to Basingstoke: If arriving by car, the nearest public car park is 'Vyne Meadow' - the post code is RG21 5NA - and parking will be £1 for the whole day on a Sunday. Alternatively, each of the roads to the north of the Holy Ghost Cemetery has some public parking with no parking restrictions on a Sunday, according to the signs.
Meeting Point: We shall meet in the small open space /'park' area across from the entrance to Vyne Meadow car park; see photo below:
We shall begin our visit in the Holy Ghost Cemetery where we shall see the ruins of the Holy Ghost Chapel, the Chantry Chapel of Sir William Sandys, as well as those of the Holy Ghost Chapel School. Along the path to the west of the ruins some of the older grave stones have been used as paving.
More recent, mainly 19th C, burials relate to different levels of society in the town and provide a picture of the types of monuments used. There are a number of Commonwealth War Graves Commission monuments; one, a private grave, relates to an airman who was awarded the Victoria Cross.To the north of the Cemetery there are four streets which formed the area known as South View, so-called since it has a view southward. A description of the land used for St. Thomas' Home gives an indication of the possible benefits of living in this area:
...the whole site of five acres, admirably placed upon the crown of a hill, eight minutes walk from Basingstoke Station, (with all its railway facilities), well supplied with water for garden and Laundry purposes, with a view extending from 5 to 25 miles in every direction.
As the map extract from 1904, below, shows development was quite limited at the beginning of the 20th C., but since development has continued into the 21st C there is a wide range of styles, sizes and types of building.
Any questions about the Landscape Section?
Then email Mike Broderick Landscape Section Chairman