Programme of Events | Membership | Publications | Editorial Board | Officers | Library  
Hampshire Field Club logo
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society
Registered Charity number 243773     Homepage | Archaeology | Historic Buildings  | Landscape | Local History   
" "

What's in a name? - The Hampshire Field Club

Have you wondered why the society is called the Hampshire Field Club?
Professor Michael Hicks, who was the Secretary for over 10 years, writes:
Every county acquired a Society like the Field Club during the Victorian era - the only distinction being whether they were learned societies, as in Dorset and Wiltshire, with museums and libraries, or Field Clubs, whose members wanted to get out into the Field - the landscape, if you like. Hampshire's was founded late in 1885. Its members interested themselves in History, Archaeology, Buildings, Geology, and Natural History: it was the county society, indeed the only society, for all these things.

...and Archaeological Society

In 1898 the current full title - the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Socieity - was adopted to reflect the increasing importance of the archaeological interests of the membership. According to Taylor (1985), the number of articles, in the Proceedings, on '...antiquarian topics... outnumbered the natural science papers by a ratio of two to one.'

...other possible names

In 1921 Cope, then Editor of the Proceedings, proposed that the name be the 'Hampshire Archaeological and Natural History Society' in line with similar groups in other counties. Both the 'Committee', as it was called then, and the membership, at an AGM, rejected the proposal. Not surprisingly Cope resigned soon afterwards.

1977 saw a 'Working Party' recommendation, in a report by Arthur ApSimmon, that the Field Club be dissolved and a new society be formed in its place. The name of this possible replacement was not given in the article by Taylor (1985).

Information on the later, 1898 onwards, name changes was taken from the article 'One Hundred Years of the Hampshire Field Club', by E A Taylor, which was published in the Proceedings Vol 41, 1985.
Contact
Any questions about the web site?
Then email Webmaster