Programme of Events | Membership | Publications | Editorial Board | Officers | Library |  Medieval Graffiti Survey  
Hampshire Field Club logo
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society
Registered Charity number 243773     Homepage | Archaeology | Historic Buildings  |  Hampshire Papers  | Landscape | Local History   
" "

St Michael the Archangel Church, Southampton

Each image, below, is linked to a larger version; to see the larger version it may be necessary to allow 'pop-ups'.

Exterior of St Michael's St Michael’s is proud to be the only functioning medieval church in the centre of Southampton. Norman in origin, it was of cruciform shape with a central tower, but has been much altered and added to. Aisles were added in the late 12th century, and the chancel rebuilt. North and south chapels were added in the 13th century. In c1500 a chantry chapel was added to the south of the south chapel. This was since demolished but the blocked-up archway to it remains.  The present landmark spire was built in 1732. Much alteration took place in 1828-9, and in 1872 the plaster was stripped from the walls.
Exterior of St. Michael's
Lyster Monument

The replacement of the nave arcades and the removal of plaster in the 19th century meant that likely surfaces for medieval graffiti have all been removed, and none was found on the remaining stonework, both in the main body of the church and in the tower, in the bell ringers’ chamber.

The 1567 monument to Sir Richard Lyster, once resident of Tudor House opposite, has been re-sited to the west end of the north aisle. This does carry some graffiti along the remaining ledge, mostly initials, with some dated to the 18th century.

The Lyster Monument

Examples of Graffiti:

Initials TR House shape Initials & Date
Initials TR A house shape Initials and Date

Church visited and surveyed on 24th and 31st March 2017.

 

Contact
Any questions about the web site?
Then email Webmaster